Glitter Skittles


After testing out my new Miss Cop glitter that I bought at the market, I wanted to see what it looked like on a black base.  As I was getting everything out I realized I had other new glitters that I haven’t tried yet, and some I’d like to compare.  That’s when it hit me… glitter skittle!!  Well, nine glitter and one flaky but whatever, apples and oranges.

So I got out some black polish, ten glitters (OK OK NINE) and tested them all out to see what they looked like.  I had a few that I thought would look the same, and they do in the bottle but once they are on they look completely different. Funny how it works that way.

These are the polishes I used for my left hand, thumb to pinkie showing from left to right

Here they are individually. Yes, I know I went completely pic crazy with this one!

Thumb -  Essence Nail Art Twin: Troy
I LOVE this color!  I’m a big fan of purple to begin with but this purple and blue glitter looks beautiful over the black.  I’ll be doing a full manicure of this sometime in the near future.  I like that it spreads evenly too, although thin glitter seems to do that easier than the more chunky stuff.

Index Finger - Essence Nail Art Twin: Julia
This one is a little more simple but pretty.  The fine glitter mixed with the larger square pieces looks interesting, I think.  It could also go over pretty much any color, I figure… silver is pretty neutral.

Middle Finger - Claire’s Red Glitter… no name, pity.
I saw an entire line of glitter polish at Claire’s and wanted to see what they were like.  I was so tempted to buy the whole bunch but I was trying to be sensible. Dammit! I should have known better than to be sensible because this one is great and now I want all the rest anyway.  That’s a lesson learned.  From now on just buy everything I want.
Ok, maybe not, but I don’t regret buying this one.  The glitter is very small and looks fantastic on black… it also came in blue, green, purple and a number of other colors.  I dare say it will only be a matter of time until I’m back with a post about them all.  Maybe a Claire’s Glitter Skittle?

Ring Finger - OPI Katy Perry Collection: Last Friday Night
I think most people will recognize this one.  The blue glitter from the Katy Perry collection is one of my favorites. I think because it reminds me a little of a starry night, like a set of acrylics I once had.  I have the complete set of minis of the Katy Perry Collection and I quite like them all.  The minis are such a great idea for those of us who don’t want to dish out on the bigger bottles but still want a wee taste of the good stuff!

Pinkie Finger – Essence Nail Art Special Effect Topper: Circus Confetti
Seriously, how gorgeous is this?  Circus Confetti is the perfect name for it because that's what it looks like.  The multi colored pieces of glitter in with the finer silver glitter just screams PARTY ON MY FINGERS!!  I want to wear this again, and again, and again.  Oh how I love Essence.
Now, on to the right hand!

These are the polishes I used for my right hand, shown left to right in order from thumb to pinkie.  Can you see which one doesn’t belong?
SONY DSC
Can you see it now?  Have I ever mentioned how much I hate taking photos of my right hand?  I wonder, does every nail blogger have a 'photo hand' that they usually use or am I the only one that seems to stick with photographing the same hand every time?  Usually, if I smoodge something up on my right hand I'm all "oh whatever, I won't be taking photos of that one anyway!".
Here is the right hand individually. As I said, it was SO much harder to get photos of this hand because I kept blocking the light on myself, so some rather odd finger acrobatics were in order.

Thumb – Miss Cop: Diamant Blanc
This is the same glitter that was in my recent post about my Market Mani.  It’s so hard to really get it to show up properly in photos, and that’s sad because it looks quite nice when you see it for real.  The mixture of gold, green, purple and blue is beautiful and I think this could be another contender for my ‘starry night nails’.

Index Finger – Nfu Oh 40
So this is the one that doesn’t really belong as it’s a flaky and not a glitter, but I couldn’t leave it out, I just couldn’t.  If I was going to paint on black with various things, this just had to be a part of it.  It was a gift from my hubby and is one of my big favorites of my collection.  Unfortunatekly I also have problems capturing this one in photos, as you can tell from the one above and the ones in the link.  It’s another polish that you just have to see for yourself.   I also wish I’d chosen a nail that was in slightly better shape to use it on for this mani. This one is a bit wonky and still has some damage from the acryclis.  Good grief my nails grow slowly.

Middle Finger – Essence Nail Art Twins: Blair
Oh man, it’s a good thing I didn’t turn this photo on it’s side.  I did say I had to do a few awkward positions for photographing this manicure, but I promise I am not trying to flip you off!  This is Blair, the match to Chuck in the Essence Nail Art Twin line.  This is one of the new polishes I hadn’t tried and much like Julia, that I showed above, I think it’s nice and neutral… but perhaps would look better on a colored base rather than black.  I had previously posted about using Chuck, but that was before I realized I had the wrong match for it.  I will have to try Chuck and Blair together to see how I like that. I suspect I will like Blair better then than I do here on the black.

Ring Finger – Essence Nail Art Special Effect Topper: It’s Purplicious
Again, it must be a purple thing because I looooove this polish.  If I could live the rest of my days with black nails covered in this purple glitter, I would die a happy woman.  I’d die happier if my nails broke less and were a little longer, but beggers can’t be choosers. Purplicious indeed!!

Pinkie Finger – OPI Katy Perry Collection: Teenage Dream
How weird that when you put this light pink glitter over black it goes totally washed out.  Not UGLY, mind you, it looks quite pretty in fact… but it’s still different than I expected.  You really have to look at it in the light to see the pink hue, otherwise it looks like a fine silver glitter over black.
So what was my favorite?  Whew, it’s hard to say… to be honest I love all these glitters (and my flaky).  I never thought I’d be a glitter girl, but I am… I admit it.
Is there a support group for this, I wonder?
So what do you think of these?  Do you have a favorite?  Do you have a flaky or glitter polish that you love that isn't shown here?  If so I'd LOVE to hear about it!  There are still a lot of polishes I haven't seen yet so please let me know if there's something you think I'd like!


6 comments:

Kelly June 2, 2011 at 2:12 AM  

I love Last Friday Night and the Nfu-oh polish.... so pretty. Love this idea BTW, glitter flakies. It's a fun way to wear all of your glitters at once :)

Shadow June 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM  

I love this!! I absolutely love glitter this like a dream mani! All the glitter I like!!! I love the essence twins those little square glitters are beautiful!!

Breigh June 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

@Kelly - I really wanted to see how some of the new ones looked but was way too impatient, so this was a good solution :)

@Shadow - You'll see your twins soon!! :)

Painting Rainbows June 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

I love the Miss Cop and I really need more Essence toppers! I only have the two I got from Kati since so far we can't get them here: Hello Holo and Mystic Mermaid.

And yes, every blogger totally has a photo hand. I know I do :P. Which hand I actually end up taking pictures of depends more on which nails aren't broken though...if any...

Paulina June 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

:)
i like that skittles!

Amelia August 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM  

OMG those essence ones are just amazing - this mani must have made you so happy :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Visitors So Far

  © Gettin' Girlie Design by Emporium Digital